Similar to an IBAN (International Bank Account Number) or a BIC (Business Identifier Code), the structure of the LEI code is based on an ISO standard (ISO 17442:2012)
- Code: 1234 56 789101112131415161718 1920
- 1234: 4 character prefix coming from the LEI issuer. 9676 has been exclusively allocated to GS1 Germany as LOU (LOU = Local Operating Unit).
- 56: two separating characters, temporarily reserved positions.
- 789101112131415161718: twelve digit identification of the legal entity.
- 1920: two positions check digits as described in the ISO 17442 standard.